The future’s so bright, we gotta wear shades.
No really. Stick with me. The future is bright.
The trucking industry has long been committed to finding ways to be greener, has hundreds of programs in the works nationally today and broad sweeping plans for the future.
The work of trucks, simply put, makes our world go round. Fortunately, the public, the government and the industry have agreed to work to find ways to be greener. This is especially important considering that truly no other transportation option can replace the integral service that trucks provide.
According to the American Trucking Association, trucks carry about 70 percent of materials moving throughout the U.S. annually, requiring 3 million trucks and more than 37 billion gallons of diesel fuel. Lessening fuel consumption is a win for every part of the industry and the environment. While regulations may make the expectations black and white, it is not driving the change. The industry is motivated to save money in fuel costs, all while reducing emissions.
The design of trucks is a crucial (and neat) element in increasing efficiency. Here are a few key elements to look forward to in the next generation of trucks:
· Adjustable ride height control: Ability to increase aerodynamics, literally on the fly
· Ability to run on natural gas: Which does not create pollution
· Use of carbon fiber panels: Known to be light and strong
· LED lighting in and out of the truck: In order to save power
· Use of GPS-like technology: To adjust to conditions and maximize efficiency
· AC productivity: By storing power from the engine to later source cooling the cabin
· Creative exterior designs: To use wind and drag to the advantage of both the environment and decreased fuel consumption
Maybe it all comes down to a line in an old Time magazine: “Don’t blow it, good planets are hard to find.” The past, present and future of the industry is represented in that simple mantra. On every front, we have to do better. Our healthy future depends on it, but more than that, our kids and grandkids future rides on the decisions we make today. Accolades and appreciation to the trucking industry for being on the right path to a greener future.
As always, I look forward to hearing what you think of this article and what else you would like to see in this spot.
Take care of yourself and drive home safely,